Saturday 22 June 2013

A Spooky Marsh

 When we were driving through Frodsham Marsh today, we saw lots of spooky cobwebs and we were surrounded by it. Its all over the place. It is made by the Spindle Ermine Moth caterpillars.


Here  is a wall of cob webs.


 I was getting out of the car, but I was trapped by over grown grass and nettles so I had to squeeze through. We looked out on the 6 tank because we were doing the WeBS count. Then it got so windy that I got in the car, I had to get in the other side. When I got out I wondered if the wind would come back and yes, it did. Anyway gess what this caterpillar was on metal the wing mirror. The caterpillar has orange and black spots. It looks like its on a road I think.  


Dose anyone know what this bug is because I think its a blue bottle. You can see all the lines in the wing. How I spotted it, I was just walking along and it caught my eye.


Again this time I have not a clue but the funny thing was a caterpillar crawled into the shot as well. Can you see it?


 On here I just wanted to get the flowers and one was about to come out.


TONGUES. Near a bend on a path I saw a hedge with a long green tongue sticking out. If you had a tongue that big, I think you will have to go to the doctor and then come back.




9 comments:

  1. That caterpillar silk really looks strange doesn't it Harley. You got great pictures of it. I've got a similar caterpillar at my local lake, called a Bird Cherry Ermine. Nature is a strange but beautiful thing at times when we take the time to look.
    You always manage to see great things when you are out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of webs! Looks like something from The Hobbit!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your shiny fly is a Green Bottle - a species of Lucilia - - dunno what the brown one is though

    Those webs are awesome - not seen them for years. They look terrible but do the plants very little harm, they'll be back full of leaves bright green next spring.

    Cheers

    DaveyMan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! All those caterpillar 'webs' look really bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lot of webs! Amazing! And what terrific captures for the day, Harley! I love the flowers they're so colorful and beautiful! Hope you're having a fun summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harley, it is great that you are noticing all these nature scenes. The webs are cool looking! Awesome captures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I checked on the web and it certainly looks like a bluebottle. Love Miss Havisham's living room, hope you did not get tangled up in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen caterpillar silk like that in your images for ages, brillinat images Harley

    ReplyDelete